TOWN OF PEMBROKE
300th ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE MEETING
TOWN INCORPORATED MARCH 21, 1712
Date: August 16, 2011
Time: 7 p.m.
Place: Pembroke Country Club
The meeting opened at 7 p.m.
There was a motion to accept the minutes of July, 2010 as read. This was seconded.
Present was Pat Ahearn, Mikaela Slaney (press), Karen Proctor, John Proctor, Debbie Peckham, Laura MacLeod, Deborah Wall, Kyle Harney, Phil Burnham, Margaret Neil, Lew Stone, Rick Madden, Kathy Keegan, John Mattinson, Claire Walsh, Steve Walsh, and Janet Fahey.
1. Kick off Event:
This event would be the first event for the townspeople and it would be held in January, 2012. At this event, the Committees would be introduced. The birthday cake would be at this event. The numbered plates would also be given out at this event. A listing off all the year’s events would be given out at this time. A film developed by the Production team would be shown and a history of the town would also be displayed. It was thought that this could encompass a reunion. This would be a casual evening and perhaps vendors could be at this event. 300th Anniversary Products will also be available at this event for purchase.
Bill stated that Bob Dorsey met with Jim Neenan, the Fire Chief and the State Fire Marshall and the location of the Recycling Center is permissible. A date has to be set and funding has to be acquired to run this event. The approximate cost of the fireworks is $15,000. It was thought that perhaps the school band, colonial encampment, military weekend or the police nite out could be encompassed with the fireworks. A date of June 19 is being considered.
Steve Walsh mentioned that he spoke to Stop & Shop and they are willing to provide a cake. It will be a donation. A letter needs to be sent one month prior. Bill Novash is the manager of the Pembroke location.
Bill mentioned that he has also spoken to someone regarding a cake. Perhaps this could be a combined effort.
4. Aerial Photo: October 16, 2011
The date has been set. The rain date is October 23, 2011. This activity is in conjunction with the First Church. It will be held at the Community Center Ball Field. Pictures will be sold in advance of the event.
5. Town Calendar:
6. Religious Activities:
Claire Walsh will update on the finalization of their event to coordinate with the 300th.
This is ongoing with New England Village. Bill is setting up a meeting with Ginger Comeau.
8. Pewter Plates:
Numbered pewter plates are being ordered soon. The deadline for purchasing is September 1. Please contact Bill for these. The numbered plates need to be purchased in advance.
Bill Carpenter wishes to put a float in the parade.
Phil mentioned that he wishes neighborhood floats for the parade.
Phil Burnham mentioned that the golf carts are all set up for the parade. Bag pipers have given Phil a price of $1000.00. The Military Band is willing to be in the parade also. They do not charge a fee but the personnel needs to be fed. The Masonic Band is also going to be in the parade at no cost. We are going to inquire about the High School Band also. There is also another Honorable Artillery that wishes to be in the parade at no charge.
There will be a discussion to dedicate a certain amount of money at the Sept. meeting for the parade.
The next Parade meeting will be at the library on Sept. 7 at 6 p.m.
11. Antique Car Show:
This is on track.
12. Golf Tournament:
This is on track.
13. Ball Committee: June 16, 2012
The committee is still looking for a band. They will be going to see the Infractions.
They saw the Classic Tracks Band. The cost of this band is $1500.00.
No new news.
15. North River Cruises:
Bill is working on this.
16. Time Capsule:
Items need to be decided upon to put in the capsule and a location needs to be chosen for the time capsule.
17. Treasurer Hunt:
18. School Pins:
Bill mentioned that a contest will be held in the school in the fall.
19. Tee Shirts:
It was thought that selling tee shirts would be a good idea. A tee shirt from the 275th was shown for an idea. More info later.
The book is still being worked on.
It will be a coffee table type of book. This committee is self funding. They will be doing their own fundraising. There will be 212 pages so far if they can get the funding they need. They feel that this committee has to raise $25,000.00 for this book. They do not feel that the book will be ready for Christmas as they first thought. More info later.
Bill is speaking to the music teacher at the school for the student’s involvement.
23. Colonial Encampment:
No new news.
24. Police Tactical Unit:
This will be in June, 2012. There is a possibility that this will be at the High School. Military and other Police Depts. will be involved.
25. Public Relations:
Kathleen Keegan wishes to be contacted in writing about any PR. This will make it easier to make sure of accuracy. Please be aware that all updates need to be run by Bill Boulter.
Kyle and John are doing this program. The Proctors are being interviewed. They wish to do interviews from other committees. Please contact Kyle for an interview for your committee.
27. Herring Road Race:
Beth York mentioned that she will not be able to do this for next year. Bill Boulter will do this but needs help. This event is to be the same day as the parade.
It was thought that October, 2012 for a carnival.
The website has been updated. Please keep Deborah Wall informed of any updates.
Bill mentioned that Shawn is keeping in touch with the Boston Winery about our Cranberry Wine.
Laura has already turned in $1700 for the raffle. Laura asked if each committee person could take a few to sell. They can be found at Town Hall, Police Dept. and the Fire Dept.
32. House Tours:
33. Town Events:
Debbie is working on this.
The first quilt is at the stitcher now. The raffle tickets will be sold for $5.00. The winner will be announced at the Arts Festival. A cabinet has to be built for the quilt that will hang in Town.
36. Closing Events:
37. Brick Walkway:
The bricks are selling well.
38. Cranberry Scoop:
The Sheriff’s Dept. is being contacted for this.
39. Fundraising Committee:
Fedele Chocolate: Bill mentioned that Fedele’s chocolate is having a mold made for the 300th. They are donating the making of the mold that has a value of $400. There will be a small bar that will sell for $3.00 and an Anniversary box of chocolates that will sell for $20.
Stop & Shop: Steve Walsh sent a letter to Stop and Shop requesting a donation of $10,000.
Therese Murray: Steve Walsh also sent a letter to Therese Murray’s Office.
Hood Co.: Steve contacted Hoods for ice cream. He was advised that a letter has to be sent 6 weeks prior to the event.
Steve is also contacting Shaws and Dunkin Donuts.
40. Collector’s Office Mailing:
The Collector’s Office is willing to put out a letter to residents as well as businesses from the 300th for fundraising. Letters are being developed for both residents and businesses. There will be a fee from the mailing company for doing this.
41. Tree Reforestation:
Rick Madden mentioned that he has 300 white cedars and he wishes to know where they will be planted. He will also be getting 1000 tree at the price of 26 cents per tree. He wishes to build greenhouses also. Perhaps these trees could be sold for Arbor Day. Kyle Harney wishes to have him on his show to promote this project. A press release is needed to be done for this also. Perhaps coverage on Pembroke Media Broadcasting could be done with information regarding these trees. Rick stated that he will donate a piece of furniture made from trees for the Farmer’s Market. He will need funding for the purchase of the wood to make this for the 300th.
42. Water Balloon Fight:
Kathleen Keegan saw this event at Brigham Young Univ. She states that it is a very good family event. She is willing to Chair this and get sponsorships for this. 4000 balloons are needed. There would be a charge of $10.00 per person. This could be done through the school system for advertising perhaps. More info later.
43. Fashion Focus:
The Fashion Focus will have a graduation in January and they have a 50-50 raffle. They wish to make a donation to the 300th Anniv. Comm. with the proceeds from the 50-50 raffle. John Mattinson will get us more info later.
This is ongoing.
It was thought to purchase banners for the 300th. More info later.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.
The next meeting will be on September 20, 2011 at 7 p.m. at the Pembroke Country Club.
Janet Fahey, Secretary